We all know vitamins are good for you, but what exactly do they do? I used to take just any multivitamin, but the truth is every person’s body needs something different. Vitamins and nutrients that your body needs depends on age, gender, and so much more. Web MD says that there are 40 plus nutrients you need each day in your diet! While I try to eat balanced meals, sometimes that just isn’t enough. Vitamins fill in the missing gaps that are essential for our bodies to feel healthy and whole. Here are a few vitamins that I find essential to my well being as a young woman.
1. A Multi Vitamin: As a woman, I look toward Lauren Conrad’s blog, “The Smart Girl’s Guide to Vitamins” for some excellent advice on what type of vitamins I should be taking. She suggests to start with a good Woman’s Multivitamin. I like to take Woman’s 1 A Day, but when choosing your multivitamin, make sure it has folate or folic acid, which is very important for young women. A good multi-vitamin will give you a daily dose of all the things you should be eating in your diet and more!
2. Fish Oils: Fish oil supplements are rich in the essential omega-3 fatty acids, which are fundamental to being healthy. They help prevent chronic diseases and inflammation. They boost your immune system; help your cardiovascular, joint and vision health; strengthen skin, hair, and nails; and enhance nutrient absorption, metabolic function as well as attention, mood and memory skills.
3. Probiotics: Probiotics are the “good” bacteria that live in your gut and play a huge role in your overall wellness. When you’re healthy, your intestinal tract houses over 100 trillion “good” bacteria, which aide in digestion, boosting your immune system and consuming bad bacteria.
4. Vitamin C: I cannot stress this one enough. Web MD suggests that Vitamin C can be used to prevent sickness, infection, and even depression and high cholesterol. Vegetables and fruits, especially citrus, area also great sources of Vitamin C. A few months ago I started taking Emergen-C regularly and haven’t been sick once!
4. Vitamin D3: Vitamin D3 helps the body absorb calcium, which forms and maintains strong bones. Vitamin D may also protect against osteoporosis, high blood pressure, cancer, and other diseases.
So next time you’re shopping through the vitamin aisle, think about giving your body the right extra boost it craves to feel healthy and whole again!